Sunday 8 April 2012

What has become of me...?

There was once was a time I would wear varnish on my nails and be known to stand waiting outside a pub for it to open. But here I was, stood waiting for Wickes to open so I could buy a bag of nails with no varnish insight!
But the sun was shining and I'd already been to collect a whole load of measured and sawn wood (kind friend's Dad I heart you!!) so was eager to get down on the plot and get hammering.
I am the first to admit I don't know what is best or where to start but I'll have to learn from mistakes and grab help offered when I can. I think my patch is doing alright with this method for now.

Right, off I go to the plot and I get busy banging in huge nails and before long I have the middle tier/step in place and a couple of the beds organised. A chum rings about midday and offers his help so I jump at the chance and he pops over and gets busy with the aforementioned nails. We have a good laugh and all the bits of wood are soon fastened in place.

I dug over the strawberry patch and this summer I'm going to be busy trying to catch the runners to produce some free plants for next year as I think these are on their last legs.
Did I tell you I'd dug over a new bed and put most of the potatoes in too? I'm so worried that although I'd worked so hard digging and weeding that I may have put them in too close together :-(
But we'll see and they are earlies so let's hope it won't matter. On the other hand they may be at the correct spacing and I need to just stop worrying...time will tell but I like to mention it here so I can look back and learn.

The seeds are coming along ok, I may have lost some to the cold snap recently (SNOW!!) but again, we'll see.

Well, thanks for reading and happy digging folks!

Love Claire xx

2 comments:

  1. your potatoes look fine! Toad/Frog got a name yet? What are your seedlings? I'm soooo nosey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The potatoes look Ok, about the same spacing as mine. Yuk! A bit of a shock to see the froggy in the picture I don't like them!

    Your plot is looking great - well done with the nails, it is satisfying isn't it, when you manage to do these things on your own!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete