Sunday 11 March 2012

Spring is springing.

Well firstly I feel I need to apologise for absence.  We have many excuses but mainly they're boring, we've had illness (the lads AND myself) we've had an operation (on a boy and a on a Saturday too!) we've had a waterlogged pitch (well it was sodden before the snow so that just made it worse) and we've also had an attack of several other hobbies and birthday parties and rugby matches and oh I could go on, and on.  Worrying really as to how we'll manage to do keep on top of the work load an allotment brings but we can but try.

Now whilst I'm on a roll I'll also mention for anyone who doesn't know that there is no significant other to help with this crazy fun packed life I lead, so all the work has to be done by me and the kids, oh and Basil of course who scoffed a load of grass at the plot today and then promptly up chucked in the middle of one of the beds....nice!  Arrrrgghhhh.....!

Now then, don't let me go giving you the impression that it's all moans and groans around these here parts, in fact, it's quite a happy time.

Today I became the proud owner of a little shed. Yipppeeee.
A pal on the infernal Facebook knew I was on the lookout and he needed a new home for one so offered it to me. A quick ask round and I was able to borrow a trailer to hitch up to the car and around midday today I was towing a dismantled little wooden shed to it's new home.

It may take a couple of weeks to get organised and build it up again but it's definitely mine and it's definitely down on the plot ready and waiting for a sturdy level base to sit on.

When we arrived Basil and Thing#1 dashed off to check out how things are around and about whilst I messed about with the rope that had kept the shed attached to the trailer on our journey, when something caught my eye. Something small, green and waving at me from my plot. I peered through the hedge and yep, it was definitely waving. Dashing round to the gate, skidding on the still heaped up manure delivery I skidded to a standstill and did a little squeal!

There, in the exact spot I'd planted a couple of rows of garlic was now a row of bright green, brand new sturdy green shoots.

The garlic has grown!  Yayyyyy!

I still don't believe anything else will grow, why am I full of self doubt with this growing thing?

Anyroad, we unloaded the trailer, plonked the shed pieces on the plot and got to work.

I tidied up the rest of the bed in which the garlic is in (I can be posh now and call it the Allium bed!) and along with Thing#1 we planted 2 different kinds of onions (sets) I can't remember the names, I'm so organised NOT, but there was a bag of brown ordinary looking ones and a bag of bright white ones.  I have the names of them on canes at the end of each row, so I'll check next time I go as I'd like to right it on here and then I'll know for next year.

Next on the to do list was to carry on digging the potato bed, we failed at that and didn't do it.  Bad girl!  Thing#1 dug and weeded what shall become the root bed and then covered it with black membrane to hopefully keep the weeds at bay for a couple of months. Bless him he did this completely on his own.  I wrestled with some pallets and tried to level the area reserved for the shed. We had a brew and a biscuit and then decided it was time to come home.

A busy day.


Oh, but wait.....


Photo mad Claire hasn't shown any photos of the day :o(

Well, I've had a play with an App on my phone and made you this...


A little collage of the day.

Basil in the trailer.
The shed pieces on the plot.
The garlic.
A retro deckchair that insisted on coming along for the ride with the shed!

I hope this post wasn't too wordy and you've made it to the end.

Thanks for reading.

Love Claire. x


2 comments:

  1. Top quality! I'm impressed - and really, you aren't late with your potatoes, we didn't have much snow this year (will prob get it in April again!)

    We've only got a shared shed, but next time I'm down, I'll take a pic of how someone is holding down their plastic covered compact greenhouse for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire - Been trying to contact you on the forum... I have loads of strawberry plants... please call me 07833 490 299 Cheers Gavin

    ReplyDelete