Sunday 16 September 2012

A wild life for wildlife?

Don't all die of shock!!
I'm here again...just like buses as the saying goes.
 
Right, well as the title suggests this post is along the lines of wildlife and the wild life they may lead if they come to live on our patch.
 
Well, I say may...if I show you something secret I hope you'll keep it under your hat.
Mind you, I believe it's not allowed...to keep it under your hat!  Even to touch I do believe.
But we can look...
 


 
Any guesses?  Oh OK you Facebook friends, you already know.
I found a Great Crested Newt on my plot this week.
A protected species and you need a licence to handle them, but if you're lucky to come across one you're obviously welcome to watch.
I'm as happy as a pig in muck!
(or should that be happy as a newt in a squelchy part of the plot?)
 
Well, as planned we cracked on with our wildlife area seeing as we already had an important guest.
 
 
Only made on the cheap as with the rest of the plot.
We were given the liner and after making the pond at home we had plenty
left to make one here too.
In the first photo above you can see the stack of pallets, this will become
a 'Bug hotel' completed in the next few weeks so any more visitors can make reservations
for the coming Winter.
Oh, and yes, I took my wellies off and hopped into the pond to get the liner straight.
The rain will soon fill it up.
(to think I even worried about water on the plot when I took it on!  I live in Macclesfield for goodness sakes...it RAINS!)
 
A trip to B&Q for some eye hooks (another planned project) and I spied
the plant hospital.  The boys laugh how
we call it that and it's the first place I stop at.  That place is so MEAN to little plants :o( They have a week, like a sell by date, on them and if they're still there after that week  then they have to go...and cheap!  I often ask the chap in the garden bit to make them even cheaper...and he does!  So I got 3 Coreopsis Sunray for only £1.50. Butterflies like them apparently.
 
I also had a rescued Angelica (from a local garden centre) that needed planting so that went in too.
 
 
Hope the pond and plants survive this monster...
 
 
He's always checking I've got things right.
 
Well after all that hard work it was brew time. 
Tidying up the shed was the best idea I'd had that day...
 
 
(It's vintage darling! The stove.)
 
I've hardly seen a soul this weekend and I've LOVED it!
Life sometimes deals you tricky moments to live with and the last few weeks
have been a huge strain.
Who needs therapy when you have an allotment eh?
 
Right...well that's it for now.
 
Lets hope I can get down there again soon.
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Love Claire. x
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Cool! Our neighbour has a pond and the frogs just love eating snails/slugs - so I'm not complaining! They have the pond, we have the flowers (for the bees etc), between us we're covered!

    How did your potatoes and other veg do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our neighbours too have a pond, but we especially wanted our own wildlife bit to call our own. We are packed with little grubs and creatures already...fingers crossed we get frogs choosing our pond as a nursery come the Springtime.

    Regards to harvest Fiona...well, we didn't really have much of one. Potatoes, my favourite's being Kestrel and Pink fir apple. Leeks, Onions, Broad beans and berries. I abandoned the plot when it needed me most but it's not the end of the world, we just love it being ours.

    ReplyDelete