Friday 14 September 2012

Long time no see...!

Well I'm not going to fib,
but the allotment has been way down
at the bottom of the list this Summer.
Not the usual way things should be for families
that have an allotment but that's how it was this year.
 
Saying that...things have picked up again over the last month and we've been busy tackling the jungle that has covered most of it. Unfortunately for you guys there are no photos of said jungle, nor is there any of it now after I've tried to bring it back into shape.  But I do have this...
 
 
Does it remind you of anywhere?
Yep, it's my shed!  Due to the lack of Veg to enter into the village show I looked at the other categories and entered them instead.
Not only is this ink drawing hung in my home it got me a 3rd!  I was thrilled.
 
I also won a 2nd for my rhubarb and vanilla jam against a huge class full of the local W.I.
 
Fruit scones are things my Mum is a champion at knocking out. So I asked her for a recipe and advice and although I made 2 batches at midnight the night before both couldn't be more different in taste and looks...same recipe, same technique but anyhow, I chose the ones I liked best and they got a commendable 3rd. Again, against the formidable W.I. ladies :o)
 
A plate of 8 plums, stalks intact!!  Well, it's been a bad year for fruit trees apparently and my normally laden plum tree was a bit thin on the ground for fruits but I picked what I had and chose the best and guess what?  I got a 1st!  Oh OK, so what if I was the only entry, hee hee.
 
My big win of the day was a photograph I'd taken of the canal bridge near my house. A strong class with many entries but guess who won?  ME!
 
 
 
Right, well I've been a busy bee on the plot today (ouch!)
Finally, the terrible paths have got the better of me and although I'd hoped for lush grass all I've got are horrid stumpy weeds that make you trip and twist and hurt yourself... (remember the poorly hip a few months back? Grrrr!) and MUD, oh crumbs the mud!!  To visit my plot without coming home looking like a mud monster from the deep would be luxury. So I've splashed out and bought heavy duty membrane and pegs and have been busy playing working on putting that down today in hope that the local tree surgeon will drop me some wood chippings off to lay over it.
 
I've also made a list of all the things I'd like to change before next year. So as we near the end of this season, my first on this plot I feel happy and confident that although I haven't had much of a harvest I still love my little life on the plot.
(just a shame I don't live in the village...soooooo far away!)
 
Right, well I'm sorry I have rambled on for too long and not shown enough pictures..
Here's a couple of the plot looking better than it does now...early Summer.
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and again.

 
Right, I will be back.
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Love Claire. x
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment