Saturday 28 January 2012

One potato, two potato, 3 potato 4...!

I'd never heard of a potato day until recently,
so I had no idea what to expect when I visited one just down the road today.


I also didn't know there was so many different varieties, this made selecting which to buy VERY tricky!  So in the end I just went for ones with cute names. Do you think expert gardeners do the same?


The seeds were muchas cheapas too!  Although I feel I've got plenty of them so didn't have much of a nosey at them...unlike Julie! ;o)


Jacob enjoyed a cuppa and a Hobnob afterwards, and even took full advantage of the little jumble stall in the corner of the room. 10p for a bear was worth it as wages for being my little companion.

Also note the little plant...a horseradish!  No idea what to do with it but I couldn't resist.



So, afterwards we dashed over to the plot and started digging a potato bed to house the trillion tubers we'd just bought...not sure we'll have enough space but we'll have to just shove them in any nook and cranny if needs be.


We also planted a couple of rows of garlic.  Hoorahhh!!
They are there, next to that pipe, honest.
I can't believe the feeling this has given me, it's like the plot has suddenly become ours in an instant.  Folk had kept saying plant something (Fiona, I'm talking about YOU) and how it would make such a difference. So, I know it's a bit late for this variety of garlic (Marco) going in but we'll have to see how it fares.


I also found an old bottomless bin in the nearby dumping ground AKA woodland. I do wish other plot holders wouldn't just chuck things down there.  Mind you, I now have a very shabby-chic way of forcing a bit of rhubarb thank you very much.


So, after a very busy day it was off to collect Thing#1 from Mama's and Grandad's and back home to CHIT the spuds!  Can you believe I bought so many?  7 varieties.

First Earlies:
Duke of York
Lady Christl
Maris Bard
2nd Earlies:
Bonnie
Kestrel
Maris Peer
and I was rather excited to get some Pink Fir Apple too!

Did you notice the little plastic propagators?
Fiona, is that good enough evidence for you?
There are also some Broad beans planted too, but they're outside. I've planted them in modules as I'm not sure where they're going on the plot right now.

I've loved sharing my day with you, thank you for reading.

Love
Claire. x






3 comments:

  1. Ummm, yes I had noticed the propogator before you mentioned it! Think I actually said, "Ooooh look, seedlings soon!"

    I've heard good things about pink fir apple too, people will want to see your tree soon! lol

    I'm gunna have to have a sit and see what else I can get to you to do... will have a think & get back to you on that. Maybe a swim in a lake? Not very allotmenty, but I'm sure I can make some kind of connection...

    I haven't been to a potato swap, so I was being dead nosey on the pics. We've got a seed swap later in the month, at Laxey sailing club, so might just get the bus and make an avo of it. I'll let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And about the horseradish - it can take over a bit, but more importantly, it looks very much like dock - leaves & roots, so have a look round for a large old planter, and bury that in the ground, so you can see the rim - that way you'll know that what's in there is definitely horseradish. Learn from my mistakes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had fun after the Potato day...

    ReplyDelete