Friday 13 January 2012

Rain...then sunshine, YAY!

I was sooo fed up with the rain, after getting soaked wet through walking Basil AGAIN I decided that a visit to Plot 5 wasn't looking likely.
So I went off to the very posh garden centre to look at things I can't have.

I bought a bargain Lavender and had my free coffee, yes, I said FREE!
If you buy a membership card for £10 a year you have an extra 10% off everything, even in the sales and free drinks plus half price food in the cafe, good eh?


I found a book which the title interested me....


...and this one I though IS me!


Then I got a little distracted....


....so I paid for my plant and headed back to the car to find it had stopped throwing it down with rain and the sun had come out. So I hot footed it down to the plot and decided to prune the raspberries!


Now I hope you're impressed by that, I know I am!
Reading every book the library has on growing your own fruit and veg, twice over and trawling the internet every evening I feel is beginning to pay off.

The soil is looking a bit too drab in my opinion and needed brightening up, plus the muddy paths are driving me mad, so I have layed some carpet.
Do you like the colour?  Lovely I thought...


Flipped over it looked a little less wild, but there we are, we have a much safer pathway now, for the time being until the woodchip makes it's way to the plot.

So that's it, another little visit and more work completed.
'Hello Julie', that's our neighbour waving. We're both new to this game.


If I wish VERY hard do you think the scaffolding planks will make their way to the plot very soon?  With the wood chippings?
...and the manure?
Shed?

I'm greedy, I know. Be patient girl.

Thanks for reading.

Claire. x








2 comments:

  1. Looking good gal! If you want to brighten up the soil, put bulbs, herbs or annuals in between the fruit bushes and at the corners of beds. Nasturtium is a good one, cos you can eat the flowers in salads!

    We had a posh garden centre down the road from the old plot, and religiously used to toddle down there for a coffee, cake & loo break AFTER the allotment, because it was funny to see all the posh one's glaring at us! (we actually looked like we belonged in a garden centre - they didn't!)

    Next week you should start seeing new growth on the raspberries. If any of your neighbours has rhubarb, see if you can take a piece, it's a good time for splitting it up and sharing - if you do get one (or two) "force it" by covering it with a dark bucket or old plant pot, it'll produce earlier.

    There's stuff you can be doing at home (if you aren't already) - this weekend I'm going to be putting seeds in trays & leaving them on the front window sill (& table when that's full) - starting with some seeds I got for Christmas. Spring Onions (North Holland Blood Red) and Komatsuna (Japanese Spinach Te-Suto).
    Got to rummage through my bag of seeds to see if I've still got some other onions, cabbages, spinach (Rainbow is a good easy one to grow) and leeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh thanks for all the advice Hun...a part of me is beginning to get excited that I can almost start sowing seeds, but I do feel worried that nothing will grow.
    The bucket on the Rhubarb is a great idea as we do have 5 crowns already in there, I'll force a couple of them (runs to find dark bucket/old plant pot!)

    Claire. x

    ReplyDelete